66th Primetime Emmy Awards
The 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards was a ceremony held to honor the best in American prime time television programming from June 1, 2013 until May 31, 2014, as chosen by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. The ceremony was held on Monday, August 25, 2014 at the Nokia Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles, California, and was broadcast in the U.S. by NBC. Comedian and Late Night host Seth Meyers hosted the ceremony for the first time.
References to Marijuana
Several references to cannabis were made throughout the evening:
- Meyers said in his opening monologue, "Cable is looking at Netflix the way Justin Bieber looks at One Direction, through a cloud of marijuana smoke," referring to the singer's encounters with marijuana.
- Haley Delany later thanked her Louie television father, played by Louis C.K., for teaching her "how to properly hold a joint".
- Jimmy Kimmel poked fun at actor Matthew McConaughey for selling his television "for a conch shell full of weed". Amy Poehler also joked about McConaughey and his True Detective co-star Woody Harrelson, saying both are "menu items at most marijuana dispensaries".
- Singer Adam Levine (Maroon 5) reportedly gave a "small fist pump in support of the legalization of marijuana".
- Comedienne Sarah Silverman carried a vaporizer pen on the red carpet, showing it off to E! correspondent Guiliana Rancic and saying, "This is my pot. It's liquid pot." She later shared that she always carries in her purse a "phone and pot… and gum". She also said, "I don't drink, I'm a light weight but I'll have a puff here and there and at the Governor's Ball [the official Emmys after party] what have you." Silverman insisted she was not under the influence of cannabis during the ceremony and "[felt] weird" having just seen the memorial to Robin Williams.
- After the show, Silverman reminded people that medical marijuana is legal in California and said, "I don’t drink. I like to have a puff as a treat at appropriate times," and claimed she brought some cannabis-infused products for consuming later in the evening. Silverman gave a similar answer to TMZ, which used the headline “SARAH SILVERMAN: YEAH I GOT HIGH after the Emmys". TMZ wrote, "People thought her [Emmys] speech was a little all over the place. But after the show, Sarah told our photog she didn’t smoke before or during the show … but planned on celebrating with it later on. Cause that’s what winners do".
Viewers commented on the many pot references. One tweeted, "Was this the first Emmys since pot was legalized or something?” Others called the broadcast a “stony night” and another said: “let’s give it up for the real winner tonight – I’m talking of course, about pot.” Abby Ohlheiser of The Washington Post opined that the reactions by Rancic and other members of the press were signs that the "pro-pot crowd has a long way to go before legal marijuana is embraced by the mainstream".
- 66th Primetime Emmy Awards at Wikipedia
- Sarah Silverman Shows Off Marijuana Pipe on Red Carpet, Wins Emmy by Shelli Weinstein (August 25, 2014), Chicago Tribune / Variety.com
- Sarah Silverman brings pot to Emmys; Natasha Lyonne sexting on red carpet (August 25, 2014), Fox News
- Sarah Silverman Totally Brought Pot to the Emmys by Neha Prakash (August 25, 2014), Mashable
- Sarah Silverman Brought Liquid THC to the Emmys by Eliana Dockterman (August 25, 2014), Time
- Sarah Silverman shows off marijuana pipe on Emmys red carpet by Shelli Weinstein (August 25, 2014), Toronto Sun / Variety.com
- Watch a Stoned Sarah Silverman Show Off Her Vape on the Red Carpet by Abraham Riesman (August 25, 2014), Vulture
- The 10 Best Emmy Quotes: Make-Out Sessions, Mispronunciations, and Marijuana by Sara Bibel (August 26, 2014), Biography.com
- Sarah Silverman shows off marijuana pipe on red carpet, wins Emmy by Shelli Weinstein (August 26, 2014), Boston Herald / Variety.com
- The 10 Stoniest Moments at the Emmys by Steve Bloom (August 26, 2014), CelebStoner.com
- Sarah Silverman - Sarah Silverman Shows Off Marijuana Vapour Pen On Emmys Red Carpet (August 26, 2014), Contactmusic.com
- Sarah Silverman stoned? Comedian pulls out “pot pen” during bizarre interview on Emmys red carpet (August 26, 2014), news.com.au
- 2014 Emmys: Marijuana takes center stage by Hollie McKay (August 26, 2014), Fox News. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Sarah Silverman Shows Off 'Liquid Pot' Vape Pen On Emmys Red Carpet by Brett Arnold (August 25, 2014), Business Insider. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Marijuana news: Sarah Silverman shows off her vape pen at 2014 Emmys by Noelle Crombie (August 26, 2014), The Oregonian. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Emmy Awards 2014: 'Stoned' Sarah Silverman stole the red carpet by Jenna Clarke (August 26, 2014), The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Sarah Silverman took marijuana to Emmys by Tony Hicks (August 26, 2014), San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Sarah Silverman’s red-carpet pot reveal isn’t the mainstream ‘moment’ advocates are looking for by Abby Ohlheiser (August 26, 2014), The Washington Post. Retrieved August 26, 2014.