Arkansas is a state located in the Southern region of the United States. Its name is of Siouan derivation, denoting the Quapaw Native Americans in the United States. The state's diverse geography ranges from the mountainous regions of the Ozark and the Ouachita Mountains, which make up the U.S. Interior Highlands, to the densely forested land in the south known as the Arkansas Timberlands, to the eastern lowlands along the Mississippi River and the Arkansas Delta. Known as "the Natural State", the diverse regions of Arkansas offer residents and tourists a variety of opportunities for outdoor recreation.
An Arkansas Medical Marijuana Initiative may appear on a 2014 election ballot in Arkansas as an initiated state statute. Two groups are currently attempting to land similar measures on a 2014 ballot. If a measure is approved by voters, medical marijuana would be legalized in the state, allowing patients with certain medical conditions to obtain marijuana from nonprofit dispensaries. Both measures have been cleared for circulation and are in the signature collection phase.
Arkansas is home to one state chapter and one college chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML):
- Arkansas NORML (state chapter, based in Little Rock)
- University of Arkansas NORML (college chapter, based in Fayetteville)
- Arkansas Laws and Penalties, NORML
- Arkansas Voters Reject Medical Marijuana Issue by Erik Altieri (November 7, 2012), NORML
- Initiative To Legalize Marijuana Moves Forward In Arkansas by Johnny Green (November 13, 2014), The Weed Blog
- Marijuana Laws in All 50 States: Oct. 27 by Mike Adams (October 27, 2014), High Times. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- Arkansas Medical Cannabis Act (2014) (May 22, 2014), BallotPedia. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Arkansas NORML Chapters, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML). Retrieved August 27, 2014.