Brazil, officially the Federative Republic of Brazil is the largest country in both South America and the Latin American region. It is the world's fifth largest country, both by geographical area and by population. It is the largest Portuguese-speaking country in the world, and the only one in the Americas.
It is bordered on the north by Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname and the French overseas region of French Guiana; on the northwest by Colombia; on the west by Bolivia and Peru; on the southwest by Argentina and Paraguay and on the south by Uruguay.
The possession of cannabis in Brazil, for personal consumption, entails a warning, community service and education on the effects of drug use. The same applies for the planting and/or preparation of small amounts of the plant. Selling and transportation of any illegal drugs, as well as the possession or cultivation of larger amounts is characterized as drug trafficking, a criminal act punished with 5 to 15 years in prison and a significant fine.
- Brazil at Marijuana Travels
- Riot Police Bust Up Marijuana Protest in Brazil (May 24, 2011), Cannabis Culture
- Brazil's High Court OKs 'Marijuana Marches' by Taylor Barnes (June 20, 2011), Cannabis Culture
- Brazil's marijuana march for freedom by Siân Herbert (June 26, 2011), The Guardian
- Brazil Launches Campaign to Decriminalize Drug Use by Fabiana Frayssinet (July 16, 2012), Cannabis Culture
- Drug trafficker killed by his own 500kg cargo of weed after it crushed him to death when he crashed car following police chase by Sara Malm (October 3, 2013), Daily Mail
- These Countries Mull Over Marijuana Legalization After Uruguay Ruling (February 16, 2014), The Huffington Post
- Protesters call for legal marijuana in Brazil (April 27, 2014), The New Zealand Herald
- Cannabis in Brazil (January 29, 2015), Royal Queen Seeds
- Brazil at Wikipedia
- Law 11.343 (2011), Brazilian Government