Canada is a country in North America consisting of 10 provinces and 3 territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. At 9.98 million square kilometres in total, Canada is the world's second-largest country by total area and the fourth-largest country by land area. Its common border with the United States is the world's longest land border shared by the same two countries.
- Hitzig v. Canada (2003)
The legal status of cannabis in Canada is under dispute. Superior and appellate courts in Ontario have repeatedly declared Canada's cannabis laws to be of no force and/or effect. However, challenges to cannabis laws at the federal level have not resulted in the deletion of the appropriate articles from the Criminal Code of Canada and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Police and prosecution services in other Canadian jurisdictions still pursue criminal charges for cannabis possession.
Positions of Canadian Political Parties
- At a federal level, the Marijuana Party of Canada is leading the campaign for cannabis legalization. In the January 2006 federal election, the party received 9,275 votes (0.06% of the national popular vote). Provincial parties also exist, including the British Columbia Marijuana Party and the Bloc.
- The Conservative Party of Canada opposes the decriminalization of marijuana.
- The Liberal Party of Canada supports the legalization and regulation of marijuana after voting in support of a resolution to this effect at their biennial policy convention in January 2012.
- The Libertarian Party of Canada supports the legalization of cannabis.
- The New Democratic Party supports the decriminalization, but not legalization, of marijuana under Thomas Mulcair. Dana Larsen is currently the leading figure of the legalization of cannabis in Canada.
- The Green Party of Canada supports regulation and taxation of cannabis.
- Canada at Marijuana Travels
- TODAY: Cannabis Champion Heads Back To Court For Rematch Bout Over Medical Marijuana by Matt Mernagh (May 3, 2012), Cannabis Culture
- Marijuana was criminalized in 1923, but why? by Daniel Schwartz (May 3, 2014), CBC News
- Colleges set guidelines for marijuana by Brian Owens (May 13, 2014), Canadian Medical Association Journal
- 5 Things You Should Know About the Medical Marijuana Injunction by Jenna Valleriani (May 13, 2014), The Huffington Post
- Hundreds sue Ottawa over pot laws by James Keller (May 13, 2014), The Globe and Mail
- Canadians Talk: Should Canada legalize marijuana? by Erika Tucker (May 26, 2014), GlobalNews.ca
- Cannabis in Canada (January 31, 2015), Royal Queen Seeds
- Cannabis in British Columbia at Wikipedia
- Ontario closer than ever to legalization of marijuana (April 13, 2011), National Post
- Up in smoke? Canada's marijuana law and the debate over decriminalization (May, 2001), CBC