Charlotte’s Web Medical Hemp Act of 2014
The Charlotte’s Web Medical Hemp Act of 2014 (H.R.5226) is a bill by United States Representative Scott Perry of Pennsylvania aimed at legalizing cannabidiol (CBD) oil and therapeutic hemp for the purpose of reducing seizures suffered by epileptic children and "others who have found a remedy in the form of low-THC CBD oil". The bill's name refers to the cannabis strain called Charlotte's Web. If passed, the bill would remove CBD oil and therapeutic hemp from the federal definition of marijuana, per the Controlled Substances Act.
Perry's office released a statement which said: "There is anecdotal evidence that CBD oil has been shown to reduce the amount and duration of seizures in children suffering from epilepsy and other seizure disorders. This legislation would enable individuals access to this potentially life-saving supplement without having to split up families geographically in order to receive treatment." Furthermore, Perry said: "Unfortunately, this plant and its derivatives and extracts are currently banned for medical use at the federal level and are unavailable to the citizens of Pennsylvania; this legislation would remedy that. This bill in no way changes my stance on marijuana—I still disagree with the recreational use of marijuana; however, these children and individuals like them deserve a chance to lead a healthy and productive life and our government shouldn’t stand in the way."
- Federal bill would legalize non-psychoactive medical marijuana by John Ingold (July 28, 2014), The Denver Post
- Bill introduced to legalize marijuana-based oil for medicinal use (July 28, 2014), Fox News
- House Bill Would Legalize 'Charlotte's Web' Medical Marijuana by Matt Ferner (July 28, 2014), The Huffington Post
- U.S. Rep. Scott Perry announces bill for national legalization of medical marijuana oil for seizures by Christina Kauffman (July 28, 2014), The Patriot-News
- Federal marijuana bill would legalize some cannabis strains by Caleb Hellerman (July 29, 2014), CNN
- Bill in US Congress Would Legalize 'Charlotte’s Web' Medical Marijuana by Samuel Oakford (July 30, 2014), Vice News
- National CBD-Only Law Proposed: Is Charlotte’s Web Choking out Legalization? (August 29, 2014), Ladybud
- H.R.5226 - Charlotte's Web Medical Hemp Act of 2014: 113th Congress (2013-2014), Library of Congress. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- National Legalization of CBD Oil Proposed in Congress by Raul Duke (July 30, 2014), The 420 Times. Retrieved July 30, 2014.