Gavin Newsom is a politician from California.
- In 2012, Newsom was quoted by The New York Times as saying, "It's time for politicians to come out of the closet on this." He later recounted, "Boy, did I get some blowback" for making the comment.
- In 2013, he agreed to head a task force by the American Civil Liberties Union of California to study issues associated with marijuana legalization.
- In 2014, Newsom said, "How many lives have to be derailed before we realize the learning curve (on the war on drugs) is too slow and too costly. How long before we realize drug addiction isn’t a crime, it’s a disease. There never was and dare I say never will be a society free of drugs, as much as we’d like there to be. So it’s time for all of us to step up and step in and lead once again in California.”
- Gavin Newsom at Wikipedia
- California Lt. Governor to Chair Blue Ribbon Panel on Marijuana Legalization by Erik Altieri (October 17, 2013), NORML
- Gavin Newsom believes California should legalize marijuana; details to come by Dan Morain (October 27, 2013), The Sacramento Bee
- California Lt. Gov. Totally Schools His Boss On Legal Marijuana by Matt Ferner (March 18, 2014), The Huffington Post
- Time for California to Decriminalize, Tax & Regulate Marijuana by Gavin Newsom (April 22, 2013), The Huffington Post
- Gavin Newsom Will Back 'The Right Initiative' To Legalize Marijuana In California by Matt Ferner (August 11, 2014), The Huffington Post
- Gavin Newsom: California Is The 'Worst Of All Worlds' When It Comes To Marijuana, The Huffington Post
- Gavin Newsom voices support for legal pot in Marin appearance by Richard Halstead (August 5, 2014), Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- CA Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom "Steps Up" for Marijuana Legalization by Will Matthews (March 11, 2014), ACLU