Hillary Clinton (born October 26, 1947) is a former United States Secretary of State, U.S. Senator, and First Lady of the United States. From 2009 to 2013, she was the 67th Secretary of State, serving under President Barack Obama. She previously represented New York in the U.S. Senate (2001 to 2009). Before that, as the wife of President Bill Clinton, she was First Lady from 1993 to 2001. In the 2008 election, Clinton was a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination. She has announced her campaign for the 2016 presidential election.
- According to the Chicago Tribune, Clinton rejected decriminalization in 2008, and spoke out against legalization of cannabis during her tenure as Secretary of State.
- In June 2014, Clinton said at a town hall meeting: "At the risk of committing radical candor, I have to say I think we need to be very clear about the benefits of marijuana use for medicinal purposes. I don’t think we’ve done enough research yet, although I think for people who are in extreme medical conditions and have anecdotal evidence that it works there should be availability, under appropriate circumstances... But I do think we need more research because we don’t know how it interacts with other drugs. There’s a lot we don’t know.”
- Regarding recreational use, Clinton said: “States are the laboratories of democracy. We have at least two states that are experimenting with that right now. I want to wait and see what the evidence is.” When asked about her own use, she responded, “I didn’t do it while I was young. I’m not going to start now."
"Clinton opens up about marijuana views" by CNN (June 17, 2014) at YouTube:
- What Does Hillary Clinton Think of Marijuana Legalization? by Ricardo Baca (June 18, 2014), High Times
- Clinton: 'Is that a marijuana plant?' by Jeremy Diamond (October 14, 2014), CNN
- Hillary Clinton made a pot joke. In Colorado. by Aaron Blake (October 14, 2014), The Washington Post
- Is Hillary Clinton ready for marijuana's 2016 push? by Dan Merica (October 16, 2014), CNN
- Democratic voters love marijuana legalization. Hillary Clinton doesn't. by German Lopez (April 13, 2015), Vox