In September 2014, lawmakers met to discuss the implementation of legal cannabis oil to treat epilepsy. The Cannabidiol Implementation Study Committee included Sen. Joe Bolkcom, Rep. Walt Rogers, Sen. Michael Breitbach, Rep. Clel Baudler, Sen. William Dotzler Jr., Rep. John Forbes, Sen. Charles Schneider, Rep. Bob Kressig, Sen. Steven Sodders and Rep. Linda Miller. Also present were epilepsy experts, lawyers, medical cannabidiol (CBD) advocates, state health officials and a neurologist.
The Committee voted to reschedule marijuana. According to The Joint Blog, "Iowa’s bipartisan, bicameral Cannabidiol Implementation Study Committee has voted in support of legalizing the distribution and private cultivation of cannabis for medical purposes. The committee also voted to recommend that the federal government and the Iowa Board of Pharmacy reschedule cannabis away from its current scheduling (schedule 1) which declares it as dangerous as heroin and other hard drugs. The committee of five Republicans and five Democrats was established in response to a law which took effect in Iowa on July 1st; the law legalized the possession and use of cannabidiol for those with seizure disorders, though the law established no means for a patient to obtain the medicine legally."
Idaho is home to one state chapter and one college chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML):
- Iowa NORML (state chapter, based in Des Moines)
- Iowa Laws and Penalties, NORML
- Branstad: "Very Likely I Will Sign Cannabis Bill" (May 8, 2014), KMTV
- Terry Branstad To Sign Cannabis Oil Bill Into Law by Paige Lavender (May 23, 2014), The Huffington Post
- Advocates Want to Expand Medical Marijuana Law in Iowa (July 31, 2014), The 420 Times
- Medical marijuana 'light years away' for Iowa families by Tony Leys (August 26, 2014), The Des Moines Register
- Iowa Committee Votes to Reschedule Cannabis, Legalize its Medical Cultivation and Distribution (September 12, 2014), The Joint Blog
- Changes in medical marijuana law appear unlikely by Tony Leys (September 15, 2014), The Des Moines Register
- Working out details of Iowa's medical marijuana oil rules by Tad Andersen (September 11, 2014), KCCI. Retrieved September 12, 2014
- Iowa Committee Votes to Reschedule Cannabis, Legalize its Medical Cultivation and Distribution (September 12, 2014), The Joint Blog. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Iowa Committee Votes To Reschedule Marijuana by Johnny Green (September 15, 2014), The Weed Blog. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Iowa Chapters, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML). Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Iowa NORML
- NORML at Iowa State University, NORML