Italy, officially the Italian Republic is a unitary parliamentary republic in Southern Europe. To the north, Italy borders France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia, and is approximately delimited by the Alpine watershed. To the south, it consists of the entirety of the Italian Peninsula and the two biggest Mediterranean islands of Sicily and Sardinia.
Possession of small amounts of cannabis for personal use is a misdemeanor subject to fines and the suspension of documents (passports and/or drivers licenses). The sale of cannabis products is illegal and punishable by imprisonment; cultivation is likewise punishable by imprisonment, even if in small amounts and for exclusive personal use. Licensed cultivation for medical and industrial use is strictly regulated.
- Italy at Marijuana Travels
- Italy: getting radical by Marco Cappato (May 1, 1998), Cannabis Culture
- Italy Passes Worst Marijuana Laws in the World by Christian Fraser (February 8, 2006), BBC/Cannabis Culture
- Activists Storm US Army Base to Plant Thousands of Marijuana Seeds by Olivia Becker (May 6, 2014), Vice News
- Italy Poised to Release 10,000 Cannabis Inmates by Raylan Campbell (September 2, 2014), Weedist
- Italian Military To Grow Medical Marijuana by Bill Weinberg (September 30, 2014), High Times
- Marijuana to be grown by Italian army – in order to bring the price down (October 14, 2014), The Independent
- Italian army growing medical marijuana (May 1, 2015), Fox News
- Results of popular referendum (in Italian) (2014) prefetturateramo