Jared Polis (born May 12, 1975) is an American politician, entrepreneur and philanthropist. A Democrat, Polis is the member of the United States House of Representatives for Colorado's 2nd congressional district, serving since 2009. He is a former member of the Colorado State Board of Education. Polis is the first openly gay parent in Congress.
- In 2014, shortly before mid-term elections, Polis urged Oregon voters to follow Colorado's lead and approve recreational marijuana. He called Colorado's policy "sound" and wrote in an op-ed for the Bend Bulletin:
- "Colorado is approaching the first anniversary of legally regulated recreational marijuana for adults. The implementation of our new laws has gone smoothly overall, providing an excellent example for other states to follow. Our success has made it clear that when marijuana is regulated like alcohol, it can decrease crime, help fund schools and drug education programs, and keep money out of the hands of criminals and cartels."
- "I'm excited Oregon will soon decide whether to join Colorado and Washington in regulating marijuana like alcohol. More than ever, I believe it’s time to change course on decades of failed marijuana prohibition and demonstrate viable, effective alternatives to address the realities of marijuana today."
"Polis Questions AG Holder on Medical Marijuana Enforcement" by Congressman Jared Polis (December 8, 2011) at YouTube:
"Polis Questions DEA on Marijuana Policy" by Congressman Jared Polis (June 20, 2012) at YouTube:
- MEDICAL MARIJUANA: JARED POLIS STARS IN NATIONAL CANNABIS INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION EVENT (March 8, 2011), Westword
- Rep. Jared Polis: Federal government shouldn't be banning marijuana (April 6, 2011), CBS News
- Will Marijuana Become Legal In The US? Colorado’s Jared Polis Leads Charge Toward Federal Pot Reform (March 6, 2015), International Business Times
- Jared Polis at Wikipedia. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- Colorado Congressman Urges Oregon To Follow His State's 'Excellent Example' On Marijuana by Matt Ferner (October 31, 2014), The Huffington Post. Retrieved November 3, 2014.