Morocco, officially the Kingdom of Morocco, is a country in the Maghreb region of North Africa. With an Atlantic coastline that reaches past the Strait of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean Sea, Morocco is bordered by Spain to the north (a water border through the Strait and land borders with three small Spanish-controlled enclaves, Ceuta, Melilla, and Peñón de Vélez de la Gomera), Algeria to the east, and Western Sahara to the south. Since Morocco controls most of Western Sahara, its de facto southern boundary is with Mauritania.
In the Kingdom of Morocco, cannabis and all activities associated with it are strictly prohibited with a possible ten year sentence if convicted. However, police are sometimes known to turn a blind eye to tourists due to the country's unofficial cannabis tourism industry.
The Moroccan parliament has held a hearing into the industrial and medical benefits of marijuana use. The discussions, started by one of Morocco's main political parties are the first steps to introduce a draft law next year aimed at legalizing the plant.
"Anthony Bourdain details hashish in Morocco" by CNN (May 13, 2013) at YouTube:
- Morocco at Marijuana Travels
- Moroccan Marijuana Fix Sought to Cultivate Exports by Souhail Karam (July 26, 2013), Bloomberg
- Moroccan Parliament Eyes the Legalization of Cannabis Production by Alex Russell (August 18, 2014), Muftah
- Marijuana in a Muslim land: Looking to Morocco as it considers medical pot by Paul Schemm and Smail Bellaoualli (October 7, 2014), Associated Press / The Cannabist
- Laws and legal news about marijuana in Morocco (2014), Marijuana Travels
- Morocco seeks legalization of marijuana cultivation and exports (December 05, 2013), RT