|Lineage:||Chemdawg x Lemon Thai + Hindu Kush|
|Flowering Time:||55 days |
OG Kush is a hybrid strain of cannabis that is said to makes up the genetic backbone of West Coast varieties. It is derived from the famous Kush strains bred by GW Pharmaceuticals, the original legal medical marijuana producer in Canada, that eventually made their way down the West Coast of the United States.
There are many possible explanations regarding OG Kush and what the OG stands for, however, according to Medical Jane the truth remains unproven to this day. According to the site the most plausible explanation is that of Kailua Kid from the Sierra Seed Company. He believes that in late 1993 a grower in northern California got his hands on the famous Chemdawg strain. This was shared with a fellow grower from Sunset Beach who claimed he had a male that was the secret ingredient for breeding. The male was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush (possibly where the ‘Kush’ came from), and was an ideal mix for the Chemdawg.
Some people believe that the 'OG' is a memorial to OverGrown.com, which was the world’s largest cannabis grow site until 2006 when they were shut down by the Canadian police for, "illegally distributing" seeds. Others believe that 'OG' stands for, “Original Gangster”, which was a strain from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.
Commonly described as sativa-like due to its uplifting and euphoric effects, OG Kush is a preferred strain amongst patients to alleviate anxiety, migraines, ADD/ADHD, and stress disorders. OG Kush typically has low yields, especially if grown incorrectly which makes it a risky investment for growers. Despite that, OG Kush is highly sought after because of its unique taste, scent, look, feel and high. The compact buds are almost neon green in color, with heavy crystallization that will leave ones fingers extremely sticky after handling. It has an indoor flowering time of 8 to 9 weeks with moderate yields.
In his review for High Times, Danny Danko wrote: "This strain has gained an almost mythical status as the foundation of West Coast genetics. Hippie folklore marks the arrival of superior Afghan seeds from the Hindu Kush region into the hands of California’s growers as the beginning of a marked transformation in the quality of homegrown marijuana. This sea change in domestic cannabis cultivation reveals itself even today in the predominance of Kush traits found among many of the world’s most popular pot varieties. Kush offspring include a number of High Times Cannabis Cup winners and HT Strains of the Year, including the MK-Ultra and Sour Diesel. Plus, OG Kush offshoots such as the Bubba Kush and Purple Kush show wonderful promise as future prizewinners. The DNA Genetics boys started Reserva Privada as a seed bank for some of their favorite strains being bred out by their buddies in Cali, and they now have feminized OG Kush seeds available for growers. The yields aren’t huge, but these dense little nuggets pack a legendary punch."
In 2014, High Times included OG Kush in its lists of the "25 Greatest Strains of All Time" and "10 Perfect and Potent Strains for Special Occasions," saying the strain is appropriate for a sick day. The magazine published: "A bowl of OG Kush will help you sleep off the sickies. This classic indica gives you deep muscle relaxation and relieve nausea." OG Kush was included at number three in "Leafly's Top 10 Cannabis Strains of 2014".
- Marijuana Strains Like OG Kush Are Meaningless, Expert Says by Dennis Romero (December 3, 2013), LA Weekly
- OG Kush Cannabis Strain Review And Pictures by Johnny Green (October 14, 2013), The Weed Blog
- How To Grow The OG Kush Marijuana Strain Indoors by Robert Bergman (July 30, 2014), The Weed Blog
- Mellow Gold: Testing the throwback super-strains of the ’70s. by Mary Romano (April 15, 2015), Willamette Week
- OG Kush (marijuana review) by Ry Prichard (January 6, 2015), The Cannabist
- Strain Attributes, Wikileaf
- OG Kush, Seedfinder
- OG Kush Cannabis Strain Details (2014), Leafly
- Pink Kush Cannabis Details (2015), Dankster
- OG Kush: The Famous "Ocean Grown" Kush (January 21, 2013), Medical Jane. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- The Story of Kush by Danny Danko (December 23, 2010), High Times
- 25 Greatest Strains of All Time by Nico Escondido (October 9, 2014), High Times. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- 10 Perfect and Potent Strains for Special Occasions (March 10, 2014), High Times
- Leafly's Top 10 Cannabis Strains of 2014 by Bailey Rahn (December 31, 2014), Leafly. Retrieved January 5, 2015.