Description and History
This squat, "uniquely pungent" pine-scented plant produces dense frosty buds and a peppery flavor. According to High Times: "Cultivators love indicas for their growth patterns, and Romulan exhibits all of the classics, staying short and stocky, with a good amount of branching and less than a foot of 'stretch' after flowering is induced. Boasting purple stems topped with wide, dark green fan leaves, Romulan packs on weight quickly, even under harsh conditions. She will typically turn a beautiful blue tint while ripening, especially in the cold of a Canadian autumn."
The strain is popular in British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest. Romulan was first brought into the Vancouver Island area by Romulan Joe (also known as Mendocino Joe) in the 1970s, where it became a favorite with local breeders, who worked to select for and isolate the classic "Rom" traits.
Like many indicas, this strain induces a deep, sedating relaxation. However, some growers insist that sativa genetics have crept in over time, which would explain its cerebral effects. Romulan is favorite strain for patients due to its pain-relieving properties and "devastatingly powerful 'couch-lock' high". It is used to treat muscle spasms and nerve damage and "can promise a full body calm with heavily intoxicating properties".
In 2010, CNBC included Romulan in its list of the "Top Medical Marijuana Strains". In 2013, High Times included a Romulan variety by Next Generation Seed Company in its list of the "Top 10 Canadian Strains of All Time". According to the magazine, the strain "represents the finest in indica-dominant genetics".
- The American Cannabis "Romulan" Ho-Ho Cupcake by Jessica Catalano (March 30, 2014), Cannabis Now
- Romulan at CannaCentral
- Romulan at Marijuana.com
- Romulan Strain: 75% Indica / 25% Sativa by Matthew Price (January 25, 2013), Medical Jane
- Romulan Review by Alexander Young at MedicalMarijuanaStrains.com
- Romulan Indica Marijuana Strain Reviews and Prices at StrainBrain.com
- Romulan Marijuana Strain Review and Pictures by Johnny Green (October 11, 2013), The Weed Blog
- Romulan at Weedmaps
- Romulan Strain Attributes at Wikileaf
- Romulan Cannabis Strain Details, Leafly. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- Top 10 Canadian Strains of All Time by Danny Danko (October 1, 2013), High Times. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- The 16 Top Medical Marijuana Strains (page 1) by Oliver Quillia and Paul Toscano (December 8, 2010), CNBC. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- The 16 Top Medical Marijuana Strains: Romulan (page 14), CNBC. Retrieved December 1, 2014.