In February 2014, Cruz criticized President Barack Obama for allowing Colorado and Washington to implement recreational cannabis laws, saying, "The Obama administration's approach to drug policy is to simply announce that across the country, it is going to stop enforcing certain drug laws. Now, that may or may not be a good policy, but I would suggest that should concern anyone -- it should even concern libertarians who support that policy outcome -- because the idea that the president simply says criminal laws that are on the books, we're going to ignore [them]. That is a very dangerous precedent."
In February 2015, Cruz's campaign confirmed that he had smoked marijuana as a teenager. A spokesperson said, "Teenagers are often known for their lack of judgment, and Sen. Cruz was no exception. When he was a teenager, he foolishly experimented with marijuana. It was a mistake, and he's never tried it since." Details were not shared about Cruz's age, the number of times he consumed marijuana, or how long his "experimentation" period occurred.
In March 2015, at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), Cruz joked about marijuana brownies with Sean Hannity and said of the federal government's reason to state laws. He said, "I actually think this is great embodiment of what Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis called 'the laboratories of democracy.' If the citizens of Colorado decide they want to go down that road, that's their prerogative. I don't agree with it, but that's their right."
- Ted Cruz at Wikipedia
- Ted Cruz Coughs Up to Smoking Pot (February 3, 2015), NBC News
- Ted Cruz ‘foolishly experimented with marijuana,’ staffer says (February 4, 2015), The Washington Times
- Ted Cruz Voices Support For States' Right to Legalize Marijuana by Matt Ferner (February 26, 2015), The Huffington Post
- Today Ted Cruz Is a Marijuana Federalist—a Year Ago, Not So Much by Jacob Sullum (February 26, 2015), Reason.com
- Sen. Ted Cruz on Obama, Drug War: "No man is above the law, especially not the president" by Sharif Matar and Todd Krainin (February 3, 2014), Reason.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Ted Cruz Smoked Weed When He Was a Teenager by Mollie Reilly (February 3, 2015), The Huffington Post. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Top Republican contender Ted Cruz 'foolishly experimented with marijuana,' his campaign admits after Bush confesses to high-school pot use (February 3, 2015), Daily Mail. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- Ted Cruz: Legal Marijuana Is A State Right by Johnny Green (March 5, 2015), The Weed Blog. Retrieved March 23, 2015.