Washington is a state in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States, located north of Oregon, west of Idaho, and south of the Canadian province of British Columbia on the coast of the Pacific Ocean.
On November 6, 2012 voters passed Initiative 502 to remove criminal penalties for possession of up to 1 ounce (28 g) of unprocessed "useable" marijuana, up to 16 ounces (450 g) of infused products in a solid form, or up to 72 ounces (2,000 g) of infused products in liquid form; and to license, regulate and tax cannabis production and sales under the authority of the Washington State Liquor Control Board. The Washington Liquor Control Board will allow Washington to have up to 334 marijuana stores.
Washington has one state chapter, six subchapters, and two college chapters of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML):
- Washington NORML (state chapter, based in Seattle)
- Central Washington University NORML (college chapter, based in Ellensburg)
- Eastern Washington University NORML (subchapter, based in Cheney)
- King County NORML (subchapter, based in Seattle)
- Spokane County NORML (subchapter)
- Stevens County NORML (subchapter, based in Collville)
- Tacoma / Pierce County NORML (subchapter)
- Thurston County NORML (subchapter, based in Olympia)
- Washington State University NORML (college chapter, based in Pullman)
- Washington Laws and Penalties, NORML
- Complete List of Recreational Dispensaries in Washington State, High Above Seattle
- Cannabis Is Now Legal in Washington State by Paul Armentano (December 6, 2012), NORML
- Seattle Times: “It’s Time For Employers To Rethink Marijuana, Drug-Testing Policies” by Paul Armentano (December 17, 2012), NORML
- Washington State to Begin Accepting Applications in November from Marijuana Retailers by Paul Armentano (October 16, 2013), NORML
- Washington: Over 1,300 Applications Submitted So Far by Those Seeking to Operate Commercial Marijuana Businesses by Paul Armentano (December 4, 2013), NORML
- Marijuana Advice from Washington to Oregon: 10 Tips to Legalize Pot Better Than Us by Ben Livingston (April 16, 2014), The Portland Mercury
- Washington posts list of marijuana lottery 'winners' (May 2, 2014), The Oregonian
- Federal Judge Says No to Washington Family's Medical Marijuana Defense by Matt Ferner (May 6, 2014), Cannabis Culture
- FOR SALE: Washington State Retail Marijuana License – $2.5 Million Dollars by Manic Conrad, High Above Seattle
- A British Columbian’s guide to legal pot in Washington state by Kevin Griffin (May 26, 2014), The Vancouver Sun
- SUMMARY OF INITIATIVE 502 TO THE LEGISLATURE (May 16, 2012), Washington State Senate Committee Services. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- Vancouver puts moratorium on marijuana shops until June 2014 by Ian Forrest (October 22, 2014), KPTV
- Washington Chapters, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML). Retrieved August 21, 2014.