|Creator:||Green House Seeds|
|Lineage:||White Widow x North American indica;|
from Afghanistan, Brazil and India
|Flowering Time:||8–9 Weeks|
White Rhino is a popular indica-dominant hybrid strain of cannabis. Bred by Green House Seeds, it is a cross between White Widow and an unknown North American indica strain. Its lineage hails from Afghanistan (indica), Brazil (sativa), and India (indica). The strain won second place in the "Bio Cup" category at the 1996 High Times Cannabis Cup.
White Rhino's lineage results in a "bushy and stout" plant. According to Wikileaf, the strain is named "for the look of the top part of the plant that resembles the horn of a rhinoceros". Matthew Price of Medical Jane wrote, "White Rhino has a sweet, distinct kush after-taste on the exhale sure to make this strain a favorite for any Kush lovers. Not one of the prettiest buds we have ever seen… but they are well cured, well trimmed, and produced one of the strongest smelling odors we have tested in awhile. Especially once the medicine was ground up." The strain flowers for about nine weeks and can yield up to 900 grams per square meter indoors. When grown outdoors, it can yield 1,200 grams per plant. It is ready to harvest in October in the Northern hemisphere and in early April in the Southern hemisphere.
White Rhino produces a "strong heady high" and is effective medicinally due to its high THC content (approximately 11%). According to Medical Jane, the strain "creates a dense sweet-tasting smoke that will expand in your lungs, making hits... much larger than you might first expect. Extremely potent, this strain will put you in a daze and make your entire body feel numbingly high. Inhale enough of this and you will experience full-body couch-lock, making it the perfect strain for pain management as well as relaxing in on lazy nights." The website's Matthew Price also warned, "Be careful, we think of this strain as a creeper… as it takes a few minutes for this strain to take full-effect."
Wikileaf said of its effects: "New users are cautioned to try this strain a few hits at a time as it can take a few moments for the full effect of the high to take effect. Once it does, the strain fills users with a euphoria that lifts moods and numbs the body. The bodily effects causes many users to feel lazy and tired. Accompanying the beneficial effects might be these side-effects, dry eyes and mouth, paranoia, headaches and anxiety... This one should be used in the evening or at night and can be rather effective at treating insomnia. White Rhino’s numbing effects on the body are sought after by patients suffering from chronic aches and pains. Others choose the strain to relieve stress, anxiety, nausea, migraines and induce appetite"
Medical Jane summarized its review with the following: "It should be no secret why people seem to love, rant, and rave about White Rhino… it’s fantastic."
- White Rhino thread at 420 Magazine (beginning 2011)
- White Rhino at CannaCentral
- White Rhino Review by Volcanobis at MedicalMarijuanaStrains.com
- White Rhino Review by MoMoFire at MedicalMarijuanaStrains.com
- The Leafly Beer & Cannabis Flavor Pairing Guide by Kayla Williams (March 19, 2014), Leafly
- The Leafly Wine & Cannabis Flavor Pairing Guide by Kayla Williams (May 8, 2014), Leafly
- 5 Medical Cannabis Strains That are Good for Starters (November 28, 2014), Medicinal Marijuana Association
- White Rhino: Strain Attributes, Wikileaf. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- White Rhino Cannabis Strain Details (June 12, 2014), Leafly. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- White Rhino: Sweet & Expansive Smoke by Matthew Price (October 28, 2012), Medical Jane. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- Award Winning Cannabis Strains: White Rhino – Green House Seeds, Cannabis Cup Winners. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- 1996 CANNABIS CUP, Cannabis Cup Winners. Retrieved October 23, 2014.