Willie Hugh Nelson (born: April 29, 1933) is an American country music singer-songwriter, as well as an author, poet, actor, and activist. He was one of the main figures of outlaw country, a subgenre of country music that developed in the late 1960s as a reaction to the conservative restrictions of the Nashville sound. Nelson has acted in over 30 films, co-authored several books, and has been involved in activism for the use of biofuel's and the legalization of cannabis.
Nelson is a major liberal activist and the co-chair of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) advisory board. He has worked with NORML for years, fighting for marijuana legalization. In 2005, Nelson and his family hosted the first annual "Willie Nelson/NORML Benefit Golf Tournament", leading to a cover appearance and inside interview in the January 2008 issue of High Times magazine. After his arrest for possession of marijuana in 2010, Nelson created the TeaPot party under the motto "Tax it, regulate it and legalize it!".
- In 2014, Nelson told Rolling Stone: "They mostly want autographs now. They don't really bother me anymore for the weed, because you can bust me now and I'll pay my fine or go to jail, get out and burn one on the way home. They know they're not stopping me." Furthermore, he said, "Weed is good for you. Jesus said one time that it's not what you put in your mouth, it's what comes out of your mouth. I saw the other day that [medical] weed is legal in Israel - there's an old-folks home there, and all these old men were walking around with bongs and shit. Fuck! They got it figured out before we did!"
- In 2014, The Cannabist included Nelson in their list of "15 Famous Dads Who Love Marijuana".
- In 2015, Nelson announce a new brand of marijuana and stores called Willie's Reserve.
- "Top 50 Most Influential Marijuana Users" (2012) by Marijuana Policy Project
- It's a Long Story: My Life (2015)
- Willie Nelson, CelebStoner.com
- Our Friend Willie Nelson, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Willie Nelson's Pot Bust: A Milestone In Marijuana Policy? (November 30, 2010), Houston Press
- Willie Nelson Messed with in Texas: Caught with 6 Oz. of Marijuana (November 30, 2010), Phoenix New Times
- Interview With Marijuana Legend Willie Nelson (September 14, 2011), The Weed Blog
- Bill Maher Gets Real with Willie Nelson by Steve Bloom (January 25, 2014), CelebStoner.com
- Celebrity Stoners: See Who's Had High Times in Hollywood (April 20, 2014), E! Online
- Willie Nelson Talks Marijuana Overdoses (May 5, 2014), High Times
- Willie Nelson's Advice for Novice Pot Smokers (and Maureen Dowd) by Patrick Doyle (August 15, 2014), Rolling Stone / Yahoo! Music
- WILLIE NELSON BECOMES MAUREEN DOWD'S 'MARIJUANA MIYAGI' by Kory Grow (September 22, 2014), Rolling Stone
- Willie Nelson: Why You Should Buy My Weed (April 20, 2015), Rolling Stone
- 12 Reasons Willie Nelson Would Be the Ultimate Smoking Buddy by Sativa Von Teese (April 29, 2015), High Times
- High Style Icon: Willie Nelson, forever cool weed advocate by Katie Shapiro (May 5, 2015), The Cannabist
- Watch Willie Nelson Talk Songwriting Legacy, Indestructible Guitars on 'Daily Show' by Ryan Reed (May 6, 2015), Rolling Stone
- NORML Advisory Board, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Willie Nelson/NORML Benefit Golf Tournament, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Willie Nelson Arrested After Pot Found on Tour Bus by Kevin Dolak (November 27, 2010), ABC News
- Wille Nelson Creates ‘Teapot Party’ for Marijuana Legalization by Gayle Thompson (November 29, 2010), The Boot
- Willie Nelson: On the Cover of Rolling Stone by Steve Bloom (August 14, 2014), CelebStoner.com. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- 15 famous dads who love marijuana by Brittany Driver (June 14, 2014), The Cannabist. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Willie Nelson joining celebs firing up premium marijuana brands by Jake Ellison (Mach 26, 2015), Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Willie Nelson Launching New Marijuana Brand, Shops Called Willie's Reserve by Colin Stutz (March 27, 2015), Billboard. Retrieved April 1, 2015.