World Famous Cannabis Cafe
The World Famous Cannabis Cafe, originally known as Cannabis Cafe, is a 4,000 square-foot cafe, community center and medical marijuana dispensary, located in Portland, Oregon, in the United States. It was established by cannabis activist Madeline Martinez in 2009, becoming the first cafe of its kind in the United States. According to its website, cannabis is always available at no cost.
Background and description
According to founder and proprietor Madeline Martinez, executive director of Oregon NORML, the cafe opened out of necessity. Oregon NORML cardholder meetings were first held in 2003 at Mt. Tabor Theater, then moved to the Village Ballroom in Northeast Portland as the group grew in size.
The World Famous Cannabis Cafe opened in November 2009 on Dekum Street. Martinez's dream was "to create a safe and welcome place for cardholders to consume their medicine out of public view." In a 2009 article published by Reuters, Martinez said, "This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members.. Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana... We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."
Technically a private club, the cafe is open to any Oregon residents who are members of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) and Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) cardholders. Members pay $25/month to use the facility, which serves food but not alcohol.
Cafe Social Media
- World Famous Cannabis Cafe at Facebook
- World Famous Cannabis Cafe at Twitter (@WorldFamousPDX)
- World Famous Cannabis Cafe at Twitter (@USACanCafe), last updated October 23, 2011
- World Famous Cannabis Cafe at Wikipedia
- World Famous Cannabis Cafe at Yelp
- Portland Gets Its Very Own Cannabis Cafe by Sasha Ingber, Willamette Week
- Oregon NORML’s groundbreaking Cannabis Café opening this Friday by Russ Belville (November 10, 2009), National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML)
- Cannabis Cafe opens in Portland by Anne Saker (November 13, 2009), The Oregonian
- $60 Cover Scares Off Some at Cannabis Cafe Opening by Sarah Mirk (November 13, 2009), The Portland Mercury
- Cannabis Cafe Opens in Oregon by Robert Mackey (November 16, 2009), The New York Times
- Medical marijuana users socialize, smoke at Oregon cafe by Tracy Lowe (November 24, 2009), USA Today
- World Famous Cannabis Café Holding First Expo by Steve Elliott (June 6, 2012), Toke of the Town
- Hemp and Cannabis Expo Tomorrow at the World Famous Cannabis Cafe in Portland by Johnny Green (March 2, 2013), The Weed Blog
- First U.S. marijuana cafe opens in Portland by Dan Cook (November 14, 2009), Reuters. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "...welcome home.", World Famous Cannabis Cafe. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- World Famous Cannabis Cafe Celebrates First Anniversary by Charlie Bott and Steve Elliott (August 3, 2011), Toke of the Town. Retrieved July 10, 2014.